Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I am back in the sun and in the soil!!!

Hi everyone,

I am finally back on my knees with a pair of dirty hands, touching the damp soil, feeling the heat of the sun and bearing the weight of the shovel. I felt great.

I got back to this new lot that I found last week in one of my exploring expedition. It was such a beautiful day with rare clouds. It was a hot day but the heat made me felt even better about my work. I sweated a lot but it felt great. The lot is a bit rocky and sandy so it might proves to be a difficult lot to plant. I planted a row of beans, a row of carrot, 2 circles of squash and 2 circles of cucumbers.










You see that book? that is my gardening log book that tell me all about my plants and their history. 





The squash and the cucumbers











With this new garden, I am officially declared that I don't have enough containers to carry all the water that I need for all the gardens. I need to find a new method to carry all the water. I will keep trying. 

After putting in a new garden, I went back to a older garden to watered and to my very much surprise, there were 21 potato plants in the garden. It must be the long rain of the last couple day gave the last encouragement that those potato plants need to come out of the ground. 




A potato plant!









Even though the potato plants are doing well in both of the garden that they are at, other plants like watermelon and cantaloups still had not come out yet. I am a bit worry. I will check on them tomorrow for sure. 

After I watered and documented the gardening experiment, as I was walking back to my car when a gentleman waved me down and asked me for the reason why I would plant on public places instead of a safer space like the community garden right next to my garden. I told him that the purpose of the project is to turn the wasted private lands into something that the community can enjoy and the people within being benefit. He really like the ideas. I made two new friends!!!




A delicious lunch after gardening!!!





It was a great day to be alive and gardening. I am so excited!!! 
thanks for reading and I hope you will keep in touch with us!!!











1 comments:

amy kathryn said...

pb (groundnut paste) always makes a delicious lunch! i'm encouraged by all the people you talk to about the project.

Post a Comment

 
Share