Friday, June 11, 2010

My gardens are gone...

Dear readers,

There is a sad new I want to share with you all today. 2 of the 3 gardens (the one by Wealthy st. and Division Av. and the one in a abandoned neighborhood.) that was left are now gone. They were destroyed by tractor as a lady told me today and as my very own eyes had confirmed her words. I met her at the community garden last week for the first time and today with her a sad news we met again. She is a very kind lady who is felt my sadness as she is the caretaker of the community gardens.

So with the sad new I came to the scene of their destruction. There were only foreign dirt and tractor tire marks. No more plants, no more gardens, no more life. As I was taking in the reality of the situation, a van pull up. A man came out with a uniform on; He works for the ICCF, the organization of the land and also the one who allowed such destruction. I asked him nicely about the destruction that we both witnessing and he said that The organization need to plow up the field and put in dirt as they awaiting for buyer for the land. He said that with plowed ground and new fresh dirt, grass will grow. So the destruction had brought to a vegetables bearing gardens for a new lawn, I was a bit upset. I sighed but I also did not allow myself to forget that the land belongs to the organization and that I have no right to what is happening to the land but sadness for its mistreatment. I let the mixed feeling sinked in, gained understandings and insights from the event, and I left knowing and be reminded: that what the experiment is all about!


The garden by Wealthy St. and Division Av.


 Before




Before




Before



After




After




The marks of the tractor




Only vegetation on the plot, falling berries.









It is all gone.



The gardens within a abandoned neighborhood:


Before




Before




After



Even though the possibility of this happening is within my knowledge, but still, it did take me back a bit. It did have a shocking effect to it. Now not just my mind believe but now my body experienced it also. Here we are, humans competing for land to do what we think is needed, a lawn or a garden... Some humans have the right to chose what they want the land to provide for them since the land had been privatized and they they are the one with the paper works, while others who have no right to the land can only see the land go to waste. This is the society we live in, no longer what is right that rule but those the right that we humans had constructed through history that rule; and at time, those rights of people is not right for people. 

A side story, as I was driving to and from downtown today (I did not wanted to drive but it was going to rain and I need to protect my lap top as I travel from red boxes to red boxes.) I suddenly realized that I must looked awfully alone from the outside, trapped within a shaped metal container that move. I must looked awfully alone as I stopped at my light bobbing my head to my only companion on the road, the radio. I must looked so strange as I was alone in a shaped metal container. I felt weird just thinking about how I must had looked like. I felt as I just want to get rid of all these different container that we carry around or stay within, our cars, our houses... All these different container that contain us from others' companies and communities; I just wanted to get out of it all... or at least get into one that with people, loving one would be preferable.


Thanks for reading again. 
I truly appriecate all the supports from all of you. 

wish you a good night!


Patrick


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Share