Wednesday, June 2, 2010

There is so much to tell you all!!!

Sitting in my room next to my window and listening to the rain, I cannot help but be thankful for the moisture that this rain storm will bring to the earth, to its growth.


 From my bedroom window!



Even though today I don't have to water the gardens, still, there is so much to do yet today... but first, let me fill you in what going on these couple of days:

 Two day ago,  I went home for memorial day to spend some time with my family. It took me 30 minutes to drove home. It was such a lovely day spending time with my family. Home is truly a place where I found myself most comfortable and real.

We had an amazing dinner and after dinner, my parent and I just sat around the living and chatted. We talked about family, its place in society and its practices today. I remember those times when I pull out of my drive way and head back to school from my home, I will slow down my car and at times even to a halt. I will think to myself, sometimes I will shout it out within the car, "Why I have to leave this place? What made me have to leave home? What is so worth while that it can force me to leave home?" I been questioning the way how our society tell us young adults to leave home after college and not go back to it; the way society tells us to leave for good for our own best interest after going through a education that teaches us mostly things that we do not need. Why? Why do we as young adults have such pressure on us to tell us not to go home after higher education but to go out and compete with others for material goods in this capitalistic society.

Lets image for a second, if the world is perfect, there will be no reason what so even for me to leave my family after my college years. I agree that we need time to be on our own as young adult to learn things that only can be learn on our own like self discipline and independence, but I also agree that we need to go back to our family, our local community to teach and contribute what we learned while we were alone. We need to bring back what we had discover on our journey. If the world is perfect, there will be no reason but my own self interest that force to leave home for a new home somewhere else. If the world is perfect, all that I had gain on my journey of becoming an adult, need to be bring back and share with all the people who had given me so much during my early childhood, my family and my local community. But you are right, the world is not perfect now and that we as servant of the world at time do response to the callings and go away from our home to share our gift and talent to a part of the world that need it, but all I am saying is that we need to be hesitance to think that it is only right for us to leave home and go, for I truly believe that deep down, most of us don't want to and it is not a bad thing, not an act of settling, but only natural, humanistic and in a sense, true to who we are as a human.



My lovely family



Yesterday was a tired some day but fulfilling. 
I first ran around downtown and water all the gardens, they are all doing quite well. There are new plants coming up in the newest garden that situates in a neighborhood full of abandoned houses. There is 13 brush bean plants, 4 cucumber plants and 5 squash plants. It is exciting to see a new garden coming up.


Bean coming out




Bush Bean




3 of the bush bean seem as they had been eaten by other insects or animals. 




Squash




Cucumber







 When I was at the garden by the busy intersection, I was approached by a lady. It turns out that she is a student at University of New Mexico trying to get his doctrine degree. She is currently doing her research here in Grand Rapids where she grew up. Her name is Christy. The focus of her research is about gardening, community and sustainability. She told me I was the first guerrilla gardener she ever had met and that she would like to come garden with me sometime soon and gain experience of it. I happily agreed. I am so excited to learn more about gardening and sustainability from her. 
She actually was in the area because she signed up to volunteer over at the community garden next me my garden. It was the first time I saw people working on that garden. The garden looks great. I met the lady who is the head of the project, Nacy and one of the volunteer, Alberto. Alberto been looking after the garden that I had planted by telling people not to mow over or walk on it. What a great man. I am grateful. 



Here is the community garden. 





With water always been an problem, I increased the numbers of containers that I carry from 5 to 10 containers. It works well. 








All those new containers still need to be painted. 






Today, I also finished retouching all the "red boxes" and made signs for them in the studio. Tomorrow I will be distributing them all over down town, When I have all the location, I will put the map on this blog and my other blog, http://thetruelibraryproject.blogspot.com/ 



Touching up the "red boxes" and making the signs for it.




My working station




My studio


Wow, there are so much information I just gave you... 
Hope you enjoyed the post. 
I am so excited to see how all these project come out!!! 

Hope all is well with you all
All the best



Patrick





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Share