Monday, June 21, 2010

I am back... exploring again!!!

Dear readers,

I am back from my vacation. I went to a suburb of Detroit to visit my best friend for a few days. Then it was father day and I also spent sometime with my little sister who flow off to the wild West for a summer camp. Then my best friend came through Grand Rapids on her way to meet up with her friends who will be going to a airport in Chicago with her to fly off to a country beyond the Pacific Ocean for a summer teaching job, so we spent sometime together. It was a very eventful and wonderful 6 days vocation. I give thanks for such valuable times.

In 2 days I have to say good bye to 2 of my best friends. I have to say it was not all that easy to said good bye to them. It was sad. A very small part of me cannot help(inevitably), but wishing that they did not flow off into air with flying machines with metal wings to a place too far for me to see them physically. Even though a much bigger part of me is proud of their decisions to be courageous, to discover something new at a new and exciting place, to get out of their comfort zone for something true, but I cannot ignore or neglect that very small, tiny part of me that not wanting to see them go. And the fact that a small part of me that inevitably not wanting to see them is due to the fact that I have been seeing my sister and my best friend as part of a community (family and friend group) that I am in. From this reflection, I was trying to reflect the choice that my sister and my best friend had made to leave the community they grow to know so well to go to a new community. I admire what they do and I fully support them, but just that I wonder to myself about: What made them willing and wanting to leave their community to a new one? What they hope to receive from a new community?  What is the notion of community when the world is so flattened by the Internet and the force of globalization? Is the whole world is a big community? Which community is more important, the local community or the global community? What is the relationship between global and local community? How do they function together? Is there a way for human to care for them both in a balanced way? Is it the true that the local community is the building block of a global community? Those are great questions that I have not even coming close to finding the answer, and that I cannot wait to farther understand and investigate it all.

If you have any insight. please feel free to get in contact with me so we can discuss and share idea together.



Patrick

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Share