Friday, April 30, 2010

Guerrilla Gardening!!!

In the book, "On Guerrilla Gardening", by Richard Reynolds, it defines Guerrilla Gardening as the The illicit Cultivation of someone else's land. By the way, the book is amazing, check it out if you have time.

if you read my last post you might remember in my art proposal that one of the component of it is that I will become a hunter gatherer. For me to be a gatherer after 100 some days from today, I need to start planting vegetables and fruits now. So I been adopting the way of Guerilla Gardening and started to take back the abandoned private land to make it a public land that all people can use and enjoy and also to prepare for the art project.

If been a lot of thrill and fun to do guerrilla gardening. I bring a big spade, a small spade, five cleaned 5 gallons gasoline containers full of water, a brown paper bag of potato seedings, a lot of other seeds, a camera and a friend... And I am ready to guerrilla gardening.

I went and scouted some land and for the last 4 nights I been guerrilla gardening. I will let you know about them, here you go:


April 26, 2010

I did my first dig (a term use by guerrilla gardener to call a guerrilla gardening mission) that night. I went to this open empty lost between parking lots in downtown. I brought a friend with me, Corrie. It was successful. We planted 2 rows of potato and 2 groups of 8 watermelons each.
In the middle of the dig, there were a police car stop in the middle of the road to watch us. I was nervous. I told Corrie to take Pics so we look like we were just taking photo shoot instead or gardening... It worked beautifully! The police left and we continued the adventure.



The potato that we planted!!




After pic. The 2 rows of potato




putting dirt back on the potato




Do you see the red gasoline containers... one day someone is going to think we are setting fields on fire instead of watering. 









April 27, 2010 
I went back and water quick. No one was around. 



April 28, 2010 
I went back to the same field and planted 3 groups of pumpkins, 8 seed per group. I was alone tonight, kinda freeing. I was still nervous. I started to worry about the fact that I am Using 5 gallon-gasoline-containers to water and I wonder when people will tell on me to the policemen because they think I am setting fields on fire. I need a better watering devise. May be I can just spray paint them black...  


There they are, the 3 circle groups of pumkinds




what a good night! oh, no policemen tonight!



I will write more tomorrow... I still have to tell you about April 29, which is an amazing night with my friend Andrew, we had an exciting DIG!!!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Share