Thursday, July 1, 2010

The twelveth one... now I am three - fifth of the way done.

Dear readers,

I woke up this morning with surprisingly large amount of energy and after a quick breakfast of rice, I headed to the North part of the city. As the exploration going on, surprises keep jumping up at me. There is this part of the Northern city that I came to know very well as a high schooler since I would go there every tuesday night in the winters to do a little swing dancing that was taking place there. But the dancing was at night then and I drove, so I never really know what the area looks like in the day. When I ran into that place today, I looked around and I was surprised by the fact I was there again, there in the place where a lot of my teenagers memories had made. As I walked around that community church that hosted the dance floor, I felt a bit sad as I realized that I no long a child, or a teenager like back then, but a young adult that with more responsibilities now. That sadness sunk deep and I needed to stop and digest that emotion. Coming of age was definitely not as easy as I thought it would. I thought that it would be smooth and glamorous, but turned out to be hard and at times ugly. Nevertheless, I had grew up to who I am today and I cannot and not willing to turning back now. The sweet years of my youth will continue to lives within me and at times, it might still take its place and shines thought me and radians out like the burning sun. But those will only be rare occasion as I inevitably had grew up with and without my will at the same time. Those were surely sweet years.

I traveled through a small industrial district filled with small and big factories today and come to face to face with different type of production structures, products and workers. The factories surely vary in size, from a one person work shop to 5 people metal shop to a factory so big that I swear it is as big as a football field. The streets in this district were quite quiet until when it was lunch time then different group of men and women came sitting outside of their work place with their plastic bag or container full of food. It seem as that the district was once more vibrant and busy than today as I observed a fair amount of abandoned buildings along my walk.

As I slowly moved westward, closer to the river of the Grand, the landscape changes from industrial to residential. There were big apartment complex, small buildings with beautiful lofts, art galleries and dance studios all along the river. Something about a moving water that attracts people to build their living space by. By the river, there is this beautiful park that ran along the river for quite a way. It was surely a nice walk in the park by the river. As I was enjoying my walk along the river, I came across fishing poles after fishing poles. I guess that section of the river is a pretty popular fishing spot. Fishermen of all ages were there casing their line and wishing for the best. It was fun to watch. I learned that there are good Catfish in the Grand river now and in the spring and fall, Salmons is quite populated.

Overall, it was a great day of exploring with beautiful weather.


Here is what I marked on my map today:
  • 46 Fruit trees 
  • 5 abandoned buildings 
  • 3 potential sleeping spots 
  • the super post office 

Here is some of what I saw today:























































































































































Thank you for your reading and support
All the best


Patrick

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Share