Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The sixteen exploring expedition... another hot one!!!

Dear readers, 

Today I worked myself from Southwest up to Northwest part of town. The area that I was exploring today was mostly residential area with a few shops along few main road in the area. That big residential area was very quiet, only at the later afternoon that few sounds of children playing and a ice cream music came across the neighborhood. As I traveled through the neighborhood, I cannot help but realized that I was in a grid, a very unified pattern in which each home's front door faces the street with a small backyard. The homes point to all direction, East, West, North and South but never to each other without a street between them. The grid like pattern gives me an impression of traps and cell and boxes. I felt as though that the neighborhood that I was visiting today was rigid and without life and flow. The neighborhood was solid and pointy instead of flexible and smooth. My family home is out in the country where the landscape of our neighborhood really follow the natural landscape around us. Neighbors interact with each other with the flow of the natural landscape and not with the rigid pattern of the grid like neighborhood. I wonder what is the impact of random families come together accidentally to a rigid, grid like neighborhood like this one. Do they feel pressure, trap, or liberated and communal? Will there a difference if all those random families come together not to a grid but a neighborhood fill with Nature and its flow? Will they be happier?

I also have the opportunity to witness a installation of a fire hydrant. I realized through the experience the amount of works that the workers need to put in to install a fire hydrant. Then I looked down the street and thought to myself, "Wow, all these buildings, street lights, roads, bridges and underground pipes... all these progress and developments must had taken so much man labors and resources." I realized that what I been walk on, seeing or being within... they are all works that compose of so many works and resources. I have to admit that I been taking those infrastructure for granted. I did not realize until today that all these, what we had built for ourselves as a enclose habitat within nature, cost so much resources, labors and time. 

Here is some pictures:







 







 







 







 

The finish result. 



Here is what I marked on my map today:
  • 44 fruit trees 
  • 33 fire hydrants 
  • 16 dumpster 
  • 1 card board dumpster 

Here is some of what I saw today:




































































































Thanks for reading. 
All the best



Patrick

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Share